A/R: Tense calm in Amansie town after violent clash kills one


Security was reinforced in the Amansie South District town of Manso Keniago since Friday, after a man was killed when irate youth and workers of a private mining firm engaged in a bloody clash.

The deceased, named as Elijah Timenkeh, 34, joined the teeming youth who invaded the mining concession of Adubiaho Mining Company on Thursday, to prospect for gold.

He was however hit by a bullet when a security guard at the mining firm opened fire in an attempt to disperse the illegal miners.

Police in the Ashanti Region confirms another Chinese national who was also shot in the process is receiving treatment at the St Martin’s Catholic Hospital in nearby Agroyesum.

The attack also saw the irate youth setting ablaze an excavator belonging to the mining firm, reported JoyNews.

Spokesperson for the Command, ASP Godwin Ahianyo says the reinforcement in the town is to maintain law and order.

“At about 7 pm, the Manso Adubia Police received a distressed call that somebody has been shot dead at Adubiaho Mining site. Police proceeded there to verify the report. When they got there, they saw somebody lying in a pool of blood. He was later identified as Elijah Timenkeh.

“According to those that were met at the mining site, some youth in the area besieged the Adubiaho mining site to prospect for gold, and then the security man on duty at the time started firing sporadically, and he accidentally shot and killed Elijah Timenkeh, which infuriated the youth. They also mobilized and attacked the workers, subjecting them to beatings.”

“Unfortunately, one Chinese national who was working at the site at the time was also seriously injured.

He was taken to St. Martin’s Hospital in Agroyesum for treatment. When the Police got there, he was in the theatre being attended to.

Other eight Chinese nationals were rescued and taken to the Police station,” he added.

Meanwhile, the security man who killed the deceased is on the run. “As we speak, efforts are underway to get the security man who fired the shots arrested,” ASP Godwin Ahianyo said.

According to ASP Ahianyo, the Police are on the alert to prevent reprisals.

Security has been beefed up in the area following the attack. “We have the FPU team who are with the Manso District command patrols. As of yesterday, they were there. They are monitoring situations there. So Police is there. We will ensure nothing untoward happens,“ said ASP Ahianyo.

SOURCE: DAILY MAIL GH with additional files from JOYNEWS

Email Daily Mail GH: stories@dailymailgh.com or
Whatsapp: +233(0)509928122


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here