Ghana: Over 20 in hospital after consuming poisoned food at funeral


At least 20 people in Ghana’s Oti Region town of Agou are in hospital after consuming food, a health official said Sunday, according to local reporters.

The victims were rushed to separate hospitals in the Nkwanta South District after they complained of severe diarrhoea and other symptoms.

While 13 of them have been admitted to Nkwanta South Municipal whilst nine others are also on admission at the Nkwanta St. Joseph Catholic Hospital,

A Medical Superintendent of Nkwanta Municipal Hospital, Dr.Theophilus Amoatey, in an interview, revealed that all the victims came with complaints of vomiting and acute diarrhea. gathers that it is not the first time this incident has happened. The chief of the area has since authorized the arrest of one woman said to be the source of the meal.

Reports suggest that the victims were served food including porridge, rice, Banku, Meat and Pito a locally brewed drink made from wheat and maize.

Their samples have been taken to the laboratory for examination whilst a team of disease control management has been deployed to the community for proper investigation.

At St Joseph Catholic Hospital, the nursing officer, David Amenudzi, and colleagues who were on duty when the victims were admitted, said most of them were not in any life-threatening situation at the time of admission.

However, some of the patients and relatives interviewed from the two hospitals said they ate rice, banku and meat, after which they had diarrhoea and severe stomach pain.



Email Daily Mail GH: or
Whatsapp: +233(0)509928122


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here