The recoveries have also increased to 2,947, the president said in his televised address Sunday night.
Per the new figures, 189 new cases have been recorded since the last update and 106 persons have also recovered from the disease.
The death toll stands at 36.
“Fellow Ghanaians, as at today, Sunday, 31st May, under these measures, we have conducted two hundred and eighteen thousand, four hundred and twenty-five (218,425) tests; the number of positive cases stands at eight thousand and seventy (8,070); two thousand, nine hundred and forty-seven (2,947) persons have recovered; thirty-six (36) have sadly died; thirteen (13) persons are severely ill, with three (3) critically-ill for which (1) is on a ventilator; and five thousand and eighty-seven are responding to treatment at home, isolation centres and hospitals.
“Our hospitalisation and death rates have been, persistently, very low, some of the lowest in Africa and in the world. The Ghanaian people are not dying of the virus in the hundreds and thousands that were earlier anticipated, and that are being seen on a daily basis in some other countries.
“Indeed, we are witnessing a much milder manifestation of the virus in the country, than was initially feared. And, I dare say, that it is the grace of God, and the measures taken by Government that have produced this result.”
“Our borders remain closed until further notice,” he said.
The country had earlier lifted ban on domestic flights after parts of the country including the national capital Accra, went under lockdown.
Already 231 of its citizens have been enplaned into the country after they were deported from Kuwait last week. Thirty-five of them tested positive for the virus.
Source: Daily Mail GH