Private legal practitioner, Martin Kpebu, says President Akufo-Addo should admit to the public the role he played in the total disregard for the Covid-19 safety protocols.
He explained that such an initiative coupled with an assurance that government will not commit that error again will encourage Ghanaians who have decided not to observe the safety protocols to get back on board.
Mr Kpebu told JoyNews’ Newsfile host, Samson Lardy Anyenini on Saturday, that this is necessary because government has lost the moral ground to chastise the ordinary Ghanaian for flouting the Covid-19 safety protocols.
“At the Eid-ul-Adha celebration, the President even said it that we have let down our guard. So what I am expecting then is that….I’m sure the President would also have learnt his lesson from it. So perhaps, he should come forward with another address to the nation, and let us pledge that we are starting afresh and seriously. So this time, we will not let down our guard. I think that would help.
“When citizens are angry, it is good for him to directly also admit his part in all of this because starting from Sir John’s funeral, you remember even before the funeral, the elections last year created a lot of problems. These campaigns and rallies were super spreader events but the politicians wouldn’t have any of it. So he should come properly, admit his part in all of this and with that citizens will be willing to come on board with him so we start afresh,” he elaborated.
The government this year received several criticisms for failing to walk the talk in its fight against the Covid-19 pandemic.
This was after the President, his vice and the Chief Justice attended the funeral ceremony of the late General Secretary of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Kwadwo Owusu-Afriyie, aka Sir John.
The event saw a number of Covid-19 protocols being breached. Hundreds of people had gathered at the grounds with many, not in facemasks and total disregard for social distancing.
The said ceremony breached the Imposition of Restrictions Act, 2020 (Act 1012) which prohibits mass gathering amidst the Covid-19 pandemic.
Although, Presidential Advisor on Health, Dr. Anthony Nsiah-Asare, following the incident said participants of the event are being monitored daily, neither the President, his Vice, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia nor the Chief Justice, Kwesi Anin Yeboah has come out to speak on the matter.
Touching on this, Mr Martin Kpebu said the concerns raised by members of the general public and the demand for investigations into the matter is laudable.
“It is good to see how citizenry are engaging on Facebook and other social media platforms. That is good,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Ghana Health Service (GHS) has admitted that the country is currently recording high numbers of Covid-19 cases.
According to the Service, the active cases being recorded amidst the fear of the spread of the delta variant is as a result of total disregard for the safety protocols put in place by the government.
As of July 19, a total of 819 deaths were reported, active cases stood at 3,560, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 100,250.
However, out of this figure, 95,871 persons have recovered and have been discharged from various health facilities.