Three suspects will face court today, Wednesday, July 7, over recent disturbances that broke out in the Kwabre East Municipal town of Ntonso in the Ashanti Region.
They were part of five other suspects who were picked up during a violent clash between rival youth groups in the community, according to the Ghana Police Service.
The trio – Nantomah Ishau, a 20-year-old barber, Ernest Boakye, a 22-year-old driver’s mate and Kwadwo Manu, a 23-year-old driver’s mate – are facing charges of rioting with weapons.
Regional Police Spokesperson ASP Godwin Ahianyo who provided the update at a press briefing Tuesday said the two others have been cautioned and granted a police enquiry bail.
ASP Godwin Ahianyo says security has been reinforced to protect life and property.
“Calm has also returned to the area. Police patrol teams are monitoring the area until total calm is restored. We assure residents and the people of the area that we know calm has returned and it will continue to be like that”, ASP Ahianyo said.
What happened at Ntonso?
Some rival youth groups on Monday, July 5 scuffled on the streets of Ntonso, Ghana’s biggest producer of Adinkra, a cloth famed for its symbols and proverbial wisdom.
A dozen of young men, some of whom were wielding machetes and clubs went on rampage destroying properties forcing many to flee for safety, images widely shared online showed on Monday.
Businesses and schools were forced to close down as many fled for safety.
Opinion leaders said several people had been injured in the fighting which is believed to have started at ‘No Size’, a popular pub in the community.
A local reporter Akwasi Oppong said: “At a point police had to fire shots to keep the two sides during a planned reprisal attack”
“Some suspects were arrested at the scene but are yet to be accounted for”, Oppong said during a telephone interview with dailymailgh.com.
The Kwabre East Municipal Security Council (MUSEC) ordered the immediate closure of at least three drinking spots in the area as part of measures to avert any further attacks.
MUSEC also announced movement restrictions in the area as police reinforced patrols along hotspots.
SOURCE: DAILY MAIL GH