Ofankor murder case: ‘Killer’ landlord ‘missing’

Suspect, Victor Steve Nana Kamkam (L) and the deceased, Benjamin Okyere (R) Photo: Myjoyonline

It has emerged that Stephen Nana Kankam, the man who had been remanded by a court for allegedly killing his tenant in Accra, cannot be traced in any of the two major prison facilities at Ankarful and Nsawam.

The Abeka District Court which is hearing the case has since ordered investigations into the whereabouts of the suspect, reported the Ghana News Agency. 

This was raised by the family of the deceased citing safety concerns as it alleges the suspect is not in lawful custody despite an order.


According to the father of the deceased, their fears were confirmed after the accused’s mother had stated that her son would never be jailed, adding that she would work within her might to get him released.

Due to the allegations raised by the deceased father the court adjourned the matter to September 9 to enable the case investigator to come and answer questions from the court.

The court presided over by Mrs. Akyamaa Fosu further said, it cannot wait for two weeks following the allegations and urged the family to exercise restraint while investigations continue.

AG’s advice

Prosecution Inspector Rita Konadu earlier informed the court that it had relayed information on the court’s invitation extended to the case investigator hence could not tell why he did not appear in court.

Inspector Konadu who held brief said the substantive prosecutor in the matter Chief inspector Stephen Ahialey was attending a course and the police were still waiting for the advice of the Attorney General.


Stephen Nana Kamkam, the Ofankor landlord allegedly murdered his tenant Benjamin Okyere in cold blood over rent.

It would be recalled that Kamkam, a businessman, was arrested by the police when he allegedly shot and killed Okyere, his tenant and musician over rent on May 25, this year.

Kamkam, also known as Nii Kojo Konim Obio-Cyhoera, has provisionally been charged with the murder of Benjamin Okyere, a musician but his plea has been preserved by the Court.

The Prosecution, led by Chief Inspector Ahialey had earlier told the court that, the deceased was a musician who lived at Ofankor Spot-M and Kamkam, his landlord was into real estate and resides in the same vicinity.

The prosecution said two years ago, the deceased rented an apartment from the accused, but the tenancy expired on May 24, this year.

He said Okyere opted for renewal of the tenancy agreement, which Kamkam agreed, but later changed his mind and therefore asked Okyere to vacate the apartment and that he should leave and hand over the keys.

The prosecution said on the afternoon of May 25, Kamkam took his loaded pump action gun, hired a taxi, and went to the residence of Okyere.

He said on reaching the venue, he alighted from the taxi, called out Okyere at the gate, and requested that he hand over the keys of his apartment to him.

The prosecution said the deceased, who knew the behaviour of Kamkam, had earlier called one John Bosco Kotah, a Police officer friend on the phone to come to his aid.

He said when Kotah arrived, he saw Kamkam in possession of the weapon so he got scared and rushed to Okyere’s room and picked a phone to call another Police friend to assist them.

Chief Inspector Ahialey said by then, the deceased was at the main gate with the accused without any provocation, opened fire, and shot Okyere four times at the close range.

He said when Kotah heard the gunshots, he came out of the room only to see the accused running away so he chased Kamkam to a distance but being scared the accused might harm him, he returned to attend to Okyere.

The prosecution said Okyere was rushed to Anecja Hospital at Tantra Hills and later sent to the Achimota Mile Seven Police Station where a formal complaint was lodged.

He said Okyere was subsequently rushed to the Police Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Chief Inspector Ahialey said a team of policemen, led by Deputy Superintendent of Police, George Asare, proceeded to the crime scene forensic evidence.

He said four spent AA cartridges were retrieved at the scene and the accused was later arrested at his residence at Ofankor Spot-M.

The prosecution said two pump action guns, loaded with seven and eight rounds of cartridges respectively, were found in his room.

Source: Daily Mail GH

Email Daily Mail GH: stories@dailymailgh.com or
Whatsapp: +233(0)509928122


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here