Armed men rob and kill MoMo vendor at Ejisu


One person has been arrested in connection with a shooting incident that resulted in the death of a mobile money operator at Onwe in the Ejisu Municipality of the Ashanti region.

Owusu Agyei, 28, was attacked by unknown gunmen while he was in his shop located close to the Onwe roundabout just before 8 pm on Wednesday.

The attackers robbed him of his daily sales and shot him in the process. The armed gang later fled the scene as they shot indiscriminately to scare onlookers.

The deceased was rushed to the Onwe Government Hospital but was referred to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital where he died.

A resident who rushed to the scene said: “A church member told me that Owusu has been shot but I didn’t believe it. So I rushed to the scene after another phone call came through. I was confused when I saw the lifeless body being conveyed into a vehicle.”


Meanwhile, the police in the Ashanti Region have confirmed the arrest of one person and are appealing to residents in the area to provide credible information leading to the arrest of other accomplices.

Director of Public Affairs of the Ghana Police Service in the Ashanti Region ASP Godwin Ahianyo said the suspect has been detained as investigations continue.

“The armed robbers used AK 47 assault rifle to commit the unfortunate crime. Subsequent to that the Kodie Police at about 12:45 am intercepted a Daewoo Matrix taxi cab with registration number AS 880 – 16 and a search conducted revealed an AK47 assault rifle and other items”, ASP Godwin Ahianyo narrated.

“Our analysis so far has some connection with the robbery incident. All the evidence we are picking will also help us to get the suspects arrested”, he stated.

Grief-stricken family call for justice

Owusu’s family continue to grieve, as they returned from the scene where he was shot and killed.

“It’s just senseless killing for nothing. We have lost a gentle soul. It should’ve never happened. We are appealing to the police to bring the culprits to face justice”, Owusu’s grandfather, Osei Nkansah told

The deceased left behind a wife and two children. His body has since been deposited at the Living Water Hospital morgue for pathology examination. 

Source: Daily Mail GH

Email Daily Mail GH: or
Whatsapp: +233(0)509928122


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here