Ghana’s FDA has shut down the East Legon branch of Marwako restaurant as it opens a full blown investigation into an alleged food poisoning at the popular eating place in the nation’s capital.
According to the FDA, the action was taken after a series of complaint on social media came to its attention about suspected food poisoning.
“We have closed down the restaurant and together with other relevant agencies, started investigations. We wish to assure the public that the issue would be thoroughly investigated and appropriate actions are taken,” the FDA tweeted on Thursday (12 May).
The FDA added that it will ensure the strict implementation of its protocols to prevent any further harm to the public.
The FDA has taken notice of complaints from the public about the suspected food poisoning at the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant. We have closed down the restaurant and together with other relevant agencies, started investigations.— FDAGhana (@fdaghana) May 12, 2022
An official with the FDA, Joseph Yaw Bernie, told Asaase Radio that investigations will uncover the cause of the outbreak.
“I had complains that there had been an alleged food poisoning. And you know these things always come with investigations and so we had a team on the ground including environmental health officers from the Metropolitan Assembly. So we are investigating the issue”, Bernie said.
Social media uproar
Marwako, a fast-food eatery in Accra has been trending on Twitter after several people complained of food poisoning after eating there.
Some of the alleged victims tweeted that they have been hospitalised after eating from the East Legon branch of Marwako.
2017 assault case
The company was in the news in 2017 when close to 2,500 people signed an online petition to seek justice for a Ghanaian worker who was assaulted by her employee.
Evelyn Boakye reportedly had her face dipped into a pepper sauce by her Lebanese supervisor, Jihad Chaaban, who heads the Abelenkpe branch of Marwako Fast Food.
The petition, addressed to President Nana Akufo-Addo, wants the government to stem the tide of abuses suffered by Ghanaians in the hands of their employers.
The online petition called for an end to “inhumane treatment of Ghanaians by foreigners” and a shutdown of the fast food chain.
Mr Chaaban was arrested and granted police inquiry bail as investigations continue.
SOURCE: DAILY MAIL GH