A court has remanded into police custody the three suspects linked to the disturbances that broke out in the Kwabre East Municipal town of Ntonso in the Ashanti Region.
The trio, Nantoma Eshauo, a 20-year-old barber, Ernest Boakye, a 22-year-old driver’s mate and Kwadwo Manu, a 23-year-old driver’s mate, were part of five suspects who were picked up during a violent clash between rival youth groups in the community.
The three, whose pleas are yet to be taken are facing the court on charges of rioting with weapons.
The prosecutor, Inspector Abdul Rahman Zakaria, prayed the court to remand the suspects as police continue with investigations.
He told the court the suspects, when put into custody will aid the police to identify more suspects involved in the July 4, riots.
The court presided over by His Worship Thomas Kwadwo Soyori, consequently remanded the three suspects into police custody and adjourned the case to 28 July 2021.
What happened at Ntonso?
Some youth groups scuffled on the streets of Ntonso, a tourism community in Ghana’s Ashanti Region, local media reported.
A dozen of young men, some of whom were wielding machetes and clubs went on rampage destroying properties forcing many to flee for safety, images widely shared online showed on Monday.
Businesses and schools were forced to close down as many fled for safety.
Opinion leaders said several people had been injured in the fighting which is believed to have started at ‘No Size’, a popular pub in the community.
A local reporter Akwasi Oppong said: “At a point police had to fire shots to keep the two sides during a planned reprisal attack”
“Some suspects were arrested at the scene but are yet to be accounted for”, Oppong said during a telephone interview with dailymailgh.com.
In a community dominated by Muslim youth and indigenes, security has been beefed up to protect life and property.
SOURCE: DAILY MAIL GH