Accra still leads as Ghana’s COVID-19 caseload hits 30,000

A COVID-19 testing lab

Ghana’s capital Accra still leads the country’s COVID-19 infections with 15, 863 cases – more than half of the national confirmed cases, which currently stand at 30,366 in the last five months.

It is followed by the Ashanti Region, which has 7,026 total cases with 6, 111 recoveries/discharge making the active ones 856.

Western Region comes third with 1, 269 total; 1,1141 recoveries/discharge, and 118 active cases.

Fourth on the chart is the Central Region which has 1, 236 total cases with 1,141 recoveries/discharge and 85 active cases.

Meanwhile, the country recorded 694 new virus cases in the last 24 hours, according to data on the Ghana Health Service published on Friday.

Per the latest update, 26,687 persons have been discharged/recovered. This leaves the country’s active cases at 3,526 while the deaths remain at 153.

The 694 new cases were reported from the lab on July 20, 2020, after the samples that were taken from the period 11 June to 19 July 2020.

On gender distribution, 59 percent of infected persons are males while the remaining 41 percent are females.

Critical and severe cases

Ghana Health Service in the latest update on the COVID-19 situation in Ghana notes that 26 persons are in severe conditions while six others are in critical condition.

It further notes that four persons who have tested positive for the virus are on ventilators.

The total number of tests conducted so far is 361,542 comprising 132, 552, and 228,990 tests conducted through routine surveillance and contact tracing respectively.

The total test positivity rate is 8.40.

Cumulative Cases per Region

Greater Accra Region – 15,863

Ashanti Region – 7,026

Western Region – 2,361

Central Region – 1,269

Eastern Region – 1,164

Volta Region – 538

Bono Region – 421

Bono East Region – 413

Northern Region – 302

Western North Region – 298

Upper East Region – 282

Oti Region – 172

Ahafo Region – 116

Upper West Region – 75

Savannah Region – 57

North East Region – 9

Source: Daily Mail GH

Email Daily Mail GH: or
Whatsapp: +233(0)509928122


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here