GNAPS repeats calls for urgent review of 30% quota for public schools


The Ghana National Association of Private Schools has reiterated its appeal to the government to review the allocation of 30 per cent of Grade ‘A’ school placements to public schools.

The association contends that the current allocation lacks justification and is discriminatory. The Senior High School computer placement policy currently gives 30 per cent priority placement to Grade ‘A’ schools to students from public schools before the remaining 70 per cent is shared with all basic schools across the country.

The President of the Association Professor Damascus Tuurosong made these remarks on the sidelines of the Association’s 29th General Conference held in Bibiani, Western North Region arguing that the current system has created an unfair educational landscape.

“We believe that placement should be based on merit. If a student deserves to be in a Category A school, he should be placed in that school. The 30 per cent priority placement policy is our major challenge”, he said.

In 2022 the group threatened to sue government over the move but that did not materialize. A Deputy Minister of Education, Reverend John Ntim Fordjour had called “for more collaboration with the association to have its concerns addressed”.



Email Daily Mail GH: or
Whatsapp: +233(0)509928122


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here