The state has arraigned the two other suspects who were arrested in connection with the kidnapping of the two Canadian nationals in the Ashanti Region.
The two, Safianu Abubakari and Abdul Rahman Suleman were part of the eight persons arrested during a joint Police and National Security raid to rescue the Canadian students who were held hostage for close to a week.
They have been charged with conspiracy to kidnap and kidnapping.
State Prosecutors said on Tuesday, June 18 that Safianu Abubakari, who has been linked with the crime is said to be a close associate of one the masterminds of the kidnapping while Abdul Rahman Suleman is the owner of the Toyota Corolla vehicle used for the operation.
Prosecution however explained that the two persons were not brought with the initial six to court last week because they were initially granted police enquiry bail but were later rearrested in other not to interfere with ongoing investigations.
The two have since denied knowledge of the crime.
Abdul Rahman Suleman told the High Court that he had no knowledge of what his vehicle was going to be used for, while Safianu Abubakari said he was only arrested because of a Facebook picture he took with one of the accused persons.
The two have since been remanded into BNI custody and are expected to return on the 1st of July.
Eight persons are currently in custody over the kidnapping of two Canadian nationals in Ghana’s second largest city, Kumasi, the government announced Wednesday.
The eight include five Ghanaians and three Nigerians, information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said at a press conference in the capital Accra.
Lauren Tilley and Bailey Chitty were rescued by Ghanaian police on Wednesday after being held hostage for a week.
“Five Ghanaians and three Nigerians are in custody for this incident. One suspect sustained injuries during the rescue operation. Victims have been flown to Accra. Preliminary investigations show they are fine and are receiving the necessary attention,” Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah told the media at a brief press conference on Wednesday.
“They were rescued at Kenyase in a Kumasi suburb. Doctors and psychologists are engaging the victims to give them all the necessary emotional and psychological support,” he added.
Mr. Nkrumah said the operation did not include any foreign security.
He said: “The operations started Tuesday evening and there was no foreign assets involved in the operation. It was entirely done by the national security and security outfits of Ghana. The operation lasted for 25 minutes.”
“We want to assure the world that Ghana is safe and there is no security threat,” the minister added.
Source: Daily Mail GH