One person sustained injuries after a fire broke out at portions of the Elmina Fish Market in the Central Region, police in Ghana’s Central Region have confirmed.
The fire may have started after a combustible material came into contact with fuel, witnesses have said although the police is yet to give additional information about the incident.
Fire brigade had a tough time to battle the blaze but later declared the “situation was under control”.
The injured is said to be receiving treatment at the Cape Coast Teaching Hospital, local media reported.
Nana Badu, the Elmina Chief Fisherman, praised the firefighters for their timely intervention.
“I was up there and noticed the fire, so I called Omanhen (Paramount Chief). He asked me to go to the fire service. He also called personnel from Cape Coast. The fire service has helped to put out the fire, but a lot of things have been destroyed.”
Another witness, Nana Kojo Conduah, the Paramount Chief of Elmina, also said, “I got a call from home that there’s a fire outbreak here. I called the Fire Service for support, and they came. We are not aware of the main cause, but I heard some women were cooking there.”
Fire outbreaks are rare at Ghana’s coasts where fisher folk depend on fuel to power their boats.
SOURCE: DAILY MAIL GH