Three police officers are under service enquiry following an alleged assault on a taxi driver Kofi Amponsah and his subsequent death.
According to a statement from the Service, the three – General Sergeant Suleman Seidu, General Corporal Seth Agbango and General Lance Corporal Salifu Yakubu – were part of an operation in Adonfe, a town near Bompata in the Ashanti region.
Ampomah was reported to have been beaten and knifed to death by patrol officers of the Asante Akyem Divisional Command Wednesday night.
The police has assured the public of full investigations into the case.Below is the full statement:
1. The Ashanti Regional Police Command has commenced investigation into the alleged assault on one Kofi Amponsah, 36, a resident of Adonfe, a town near Bompata in the Ashanti Region by some Police Officers with the Konongo Divisional Police Task Force, leading to his death on Monday 14th October, 2019.
2. The Command as part of investigation has interdicted three (3) Officers, namely General Sergeant Suleman Seidu, General Corporal Seth Agbango and General Lance Corporal Salifu Yakubu.
3. In all nine (9) Officers embarked on the operation but three (3) were cited having taken part in the incident, hence their interdiction.
4. The Command has also tasked the Regional Police Professional Standards Bureau (PPSB) to also institute internal administrative investigation into the conduct of the Officers and report.
5. The general public is assured of an independent investigation and further development will be communicated in due course.
Source: Daily Mail GH