The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration has refuted claims that the UK government is drawing up a plan with Ghana to resettle migrants to the United Kingdom.
“It has come to the attention of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration that UK newspapers this morning reported details of a document dubbed “Operation Dead Meat”, which contains, among others, a measure supposedly being drawn up by UK authorities to “send migrants to countries such as Rwanda and Ghana for processing and resettlement”.
In a statement issued Tuesday (18 January), the Ministry said “The Ministry of Foreign and Regional Integration wishes to state categorically that Ghana has not engaged with the UK on any such plan and does not intend to consider any such operation in the future.
“It is recalled in this regard that the Ministry on the 8th of September 2021 debunked in a tweet a news item on Sky UK about a possible Ghana interest in a partnership agreement with the UK to host deported or returned migrants of Third Country from the UK.”
The Dailymail newspaper reported on Monday that asylum seekers could be flown to Ghana and Rwanda under plans to deter migrant Channel crossings.
British Ministers were said to be drawing up proposals that would see people arriving illegally in the UK sent abroad for processing and resettlement.
Home Secretary Priti Patel and Foreign Secretary Liz Truss are in talks about ‘outsourcing’ the asylum process to other countries, according to The Times.
The arrangements would see the UK pay another nation to take on the responsibility but no country has so far agreed to do so.
It was reported in November last year that Albania was being considered as one potential destination but those talks are said to have collapsed.
Source: Daily Mail GH